Monday, July 28, 2014

Week 25, July 21st, 2014 ~ Bacon Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes


So I kinda have this problem...I have a compulsive need to put bacon on EVERYTHING! Bacon just makes everything better! So last weekend when I was trying to figure out what to make (which is proving to be a much harder task when all I wanna do it go to the beach on the weekends) I was asked if I had ever made Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes. I have had them and I love them but I had never made them and it was perfect because they don't need frosting so I could be a little lazy this week! I wanted to do something different with them though, put my own spin on it. It wasn't hard to come up with the obvious choice of bacon! It is probably one of my signature ingredients at this point. Though since I know not everyone is as adventurous as me I only put bacon on half of them. I did candy mine, I just think it works better in sweets. If I did anything different I would maybe have incorporated some of the bacon into the batter or added more on top. There should have been more bacon unfortunately I burned about 1/3rd of it... The bacon was such a good addition though! It added a little salty and smokiness to rather sweet cupcake. For the batter I used some brown sugar instead of white and I added crushed pineapple and pineapple juice so the flavor would carry through the whole cupcake. It did make for a VERY moist cupcake so I would recommend putting the cupcakes in liners after you flip them. For the actual baking portion you can either spray the cupcake tin for nonstick  spray or use liners and peel them off after you flip the cupcakes. I used liners because. I was trying to avoid a mess and I was out of nonstick spray... Whichever you want to of is fine, both ways work. Ok I have rambled enough, I'll just get on with it!


This recipe makes 24 cupcakes

For the cake:

  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1-8 ounce container sour cream
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces of a 20 ounce can) crushed pineapple drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  1. Spray muffin pans with baking spray or line with cupcake liners.
  2. In medium bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, mix and set aside.
  3. Beat butter and sugars on medium speed until fluffy.
  4. Add eggs one at a time and beat until just combined.
  5. Add vanilla and mix.
  6. Add in half of the dry ingredients and mix, scraping sides of bowl.
  7. Add in sour cream, pineapple juice and pineapple and mix until well combined.
  8. Add in rest of the dry ingredients and mix until well combined.
Pineapple Mixture:
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 16 ounces (rest of the 20 ounce can) crushed pineapple, drained
  • 12 maraschino cherries, cut in half
  • 12+ pieces candied bacon go a little lighter on the peppers

  1. In large bowl mix melted butter and brown sugar.
  2. Add pineapple and bacon and mix well.
Assembling the cupcakes:
  1. Place half of a maraschino cherry cut side up in the center of muffin pan.
  2. Spoon about 2 tbsp pineapple mixture around the cherry.
  3. Place a scoop of cake batter on top of the pineapple mixture.
  4. Bake for 20-22 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 10-15 minutes.
  6. Place a wire rack on top of the muffin tin and flip over to release the cupcakes--you may have to shake a tin a little.
I must have really been loving pineapple last week because I also made homemade Dole Whips in my ice cream maker! Everyone knows I love Dole Whip! Now of course you can also make these without bacon...I won't judge you...

No comments:

Post a Comment