These are basically like those chocolate oranges that you have to crack open and get at christmas but in a cupcake and more grownup because I used Grand Marnier! I love orange flavored everything so I liked them a lot. I did kind of phone it in with the decorations. Originally I wanted to do candied oranges but those were a big time commitment and I didn't have the right type of oranges, then I wanted to dip orange slices in chocolate, which I did with one, but I didn't think they would hold up over the few days it takes the cupcakes to usually disappear. So in the end I just went with some gold sparkles that I had. This is just a chocolate cupcake with a chocolate orange mousse filling and a chocolate orange ganache. I do with I went with a cupcake that wasn't so moist and would have held up better to the mousse filling but I didn't really give it much thought at the time and just used my goto chocolate cake recipe.
This recipe makes 16 cupcakes!
For the chocolate cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool.
- Beat butter and sugar until fully combined and looks like wet sand; add the melted chocolate once cooled and mix to combine.
- Mix in eggs and egg yolks one at a time until just combined.
- Mix in oil, vanilla, and sour cream until just combined.
- Sift flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture a little at a time until just combined.
- Add the coffee and mix till combined.
- Fill cupcake liners and bake with 18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Set aside on a wire rack and let cool.
For the Mousse filling:
- 3 cups dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Zest of 2 oranges, very finely minced
- 1 ½ cups whipping cream
|Is this not the cutest little bottle of alcohol?|