Monday, September 15, 2014

Week 30, August 25,2014 ~ German Chocolate Cupcakes


Guten Tag! This post will be in all German in honor of these German Chocolate Cupcakes!....yeah no I am not going to do that...I may have taken German for 6 years but that was over 10 years ago (#gross)  and meine Deutsch ist schricklich! I can sing Happy Birthday though. This was a cupcake I was saving for a lazy week when I didn't feel like creating something more original...and this was the most exhausting work week ever! I we were basically rebuilding our store and I was working 10 hour days....I was definitely feeling my 29 years of life that week! So the fact that I was able to whip these up should me pretty impressive! Also now that work is finally settling down hopefully this is the week I completely catch up on my posts! I stayed somewhat traditional with these cupcakes, I made the cupcakes with German chocolate and made the coconut caramel pecan topping that is standard with a German Chocolate cupcake. I did get a little crazy and make a caramel coconut pudding to put inside just to make it more caramely and do something a little different. I did get a little lazy with the decorating. I was going to make a chocolate frosting to pipe around the outside and make it prettier but I went the more "rustic" route and drizzled chocolate on top. Anyone that watches Food Network knows rustic is code for lazy....I am looking at you Ina Garden! These were pretty much everything I like in a sweet...chocolatey, caramely, and coconutty so I liked them! Side note: this was also the week I realized it was time to replace my baking soda. The cupcakes sunk a bit in the middle which means your baking soda has run its course. I typically have to replace my baking soda once a month and my baking powder every three months or so. 

This recipe makes 16 cupcakes! I think I actually made some mini once instead of all regular sized cupcakes though

For the caramel coconut pudding: 
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups whole milk, at room temperature
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons  cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon coconut extract
  • 1/4teaspoons salt
  1. Whisk together 1/4 cup of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl and set aside.
  2. In a saucepan, melt the sugar over medium heat. Let the sugar caramelize, swirling the pan if necessary to caramelize it evenly. Be careful to make sure it doesn't burn.
  3. Once the sugar has completely caramelized, remove from heat and slowly pour in the 1 1/2 cups of milk while whisking constantly. The caramel will bubble and steam violently at first and might even seize up. Once all the milk has been added, return the pan to the medium heat and whisk until all the caramel has dissolved. Boil for a few minutes until slightly thickened.
  4. Slowly whisk in the milk and cornstarch mixture, vanilla, coconut, and salt and stir until pudding has thickened. Add the salt. Chill for at least one hour before using.

For the Cake:
  • 1/4 cup boiling water
  • 2 ounces Bakers German's Chocolate
  • cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 cup cocoa
  • 1  teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1  stick unsalted butter, room temp
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tin and set aside.
  2.  In a medium heat-proof bowl, pour the boiling water over the German's Chocolate. Stir until smooth and set aside.
  3.  In another medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In the mixer beat sugar and butter for 1-2 minutes on medium until light in color. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, and mix well. 
  4. Reduce the speed to low and add the German's chocolate and vanilla. 
  5. Add flour mixture by thirds, alternating with sour cream and end with dry ingredients.
  6. In a medium bowl with a hand mixer (or if you have another bowl for your mixer use that with a clean blade) beat egg whites to soft peaks. Use a rubber spatula to gently stir the beaten whites into the batter. 
  7.  Divide the batter equally amongst the cupcake tins. Bake until a tester inserted in center of each cake layer comes out clean, 20-24 minutes.

For the Coconut Pecan Frosting:

  • 1/2 cup full-fat evaporated milk 
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup salted butter, diced 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 oz. dark chocolate, melted

  • 1. In a medium saucepan combine, evaporated milk, egg yolks, brown sugar and butter. Cook mixture 10-15 minutes over medium heat, while stirring constantly, until thickened.
  • 2.  Remove from heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer.  Stir in vanilla and mix in shredded coconut and chopped pecans.
  • 3. Allow the mixture to cool before using.
4. Once you have spooned the topping onto the cupcakes drizzle with the melted chocolate.


                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment