Monday, March 24, 2014

Week 8, March 24,2014 ~Pineapple Coconut Strawberry Cupcakes



I call these my "Why doesn't it feel like spring yet?" cupcakes...I was hoping I could will spring to come through the power of cupcakes!...Didn't work it was like 20 outside today and we are suppose to get a snowstorm tomorrow... ANYWAYS...I love anything coconut, and anything pineapple! So combined I am one happy camper! One of my favorite drinks ever is a drink from Bahama Breeze. I don't remember what it is called but it is a pina colada layered with strawberry ice. So obviously I turned it into a cupcake! I didn't use any alcohol in this one since I did that last week and I don't want everyone to think I am trying to get them drunk! I plan on doing that another time though. I will say while the flavor was good this isn't a cupcake I am super proud of...This is only the second vanilla cupcake I have made during my challenge and both have been dry, so I am still on the hunt for the perfect vanilla cupcake. The pineapple filling I made was probably the best part of the cupcakes. It was almost like a lemon curd but with pineapple. The frosting was the same one I used for my chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes but I just added coconut extract. The frosting just didn't want to cooperate though! I don't really have much else to say about this cupcake. The recipe for the coconut cupcake was an Ina Garten recipe...I don't know what I was thinking...

Makes 24 Cupcakes...I also didn't add the almond extract

For The Coconut Cupcake:

  • 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 5 extra-large eggs at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 cups, shredded coconut



  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
  3. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut.
  4. Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
This is the link to the recipe
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/coconut-cupcakes-recipe.html?oc=linkback


For the pineapple filling: 
  • 1/2 C. sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1 C. crushed pineapple, drained
  • 1/2 C. pineapple juice
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  1. In a saucepan combine all the ingredients except for the butter and stir frequently until the mixture thickens. Make sure the egg doesn't turn into scrambled eggs. 
  2. Remove from heat and mix in the butter.
  3.  Let cool completely before filling the cupcakes with it. 
For the strawberry coconut cream cheese buttercream:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 8 oz (1 package) strawberry cream cheese, softened
  • 3-4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1-2 tsp coconut extract depending on preference
  • 2 tbsp freeze-dried strawberries, pulverized.  

  1.  In a large bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese.
  2. Gradually add powdered sugar until completely combined. 
  3. Add the coconut extract and mix till incorporated.
  4. Stir in powdered strawberries
  5. Frost how desired.

:P




No comments:

Post a Comment