Friday, December 26, 2014

Week 39 , October 27, 2014 ~ Candy Bar Cupcakes



As you can see these were my Halloween week cupcakes. I wish I had done something a little crazier but I wasn't really feelin it...I instead did something that reminds me of a candy bar. No specific candy bar just all the things i like in a candy bar. The cake is a Hazelnut Devils Food, I love all things Nutella so I really like it. Then I threw some peanut butter chips inside and I think I also threw some Heath bar bits in to ( I honestly can't remember but it sounds like something I would do and couldn't be a bad thing). I then topped them off with a caramel cream cheese frosting. I wish I had more to say about this cupcake I just don't remember it very well unfortunately. Luckily I have an abundance of time off over the next few weeks so I can actually take a day and get completely caught up! In real time my year is almost up! I know everyone would like me to continue on the cupcake train I think I will expand my horizons and make other things but still keep to making something every week! I'm not cruel I wouldn't cut people off completely :) 

This recipe makes 16 cupcakes:


For the hazelnut devil's food:


  1. 1/4 cup butter( room temperature)
  2. 1 cups sugar
  3. 1 egg + 1 yolk
  4. 6 tbsp sour cream
  5. 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  6. 1 cup all purpose flour
  7. 2 tsp baking soda
  8. 1/4 tsp salt
  9. 1/8 cup cocoa powder
  10. 1/4 cup nutella
  11. 1/2 cup water( boiling)
  12. 1/2-1 cup various chips (depending on ow much you like and what flavors you want - I did peanut butter and toffee)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F
2. cream together butter and sugar until light. Beat in eggs one at a time. 
3. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. 
4. Add half of flour mixture to the butter mixture, followed by the sour cream and vanilla extract, followed by the addition of the rest of the flour mix. Stir well between each addition and mix until no streaks of flour remain.
5. Stir the cocoa powder and the nutella into the boiling water (easiest in a large measuring cup). Pour chocolate water into the rest of the batter and stir until uniform. Add the chips and gently fold into the batter.
6. Evenly distribute batter into prepared baking cups. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed. Cool cupcakes on wire rack before frosting

For the caramel cream cheese buttercream:

  • -1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened 
  • -4 ounces (½ 8-ounce package) cream cheese, softened
  • -½ cup  homemade or prepared caramel, thick at room temperature--I usually make my own but I used store bought this time
  • -2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • -4 cups confectioners’ sugar




1. Using an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or handheld mixer and large bowl, beat butter on medium speed until creamy. Add cream cheese, caramel and vanilla; beat until fully incorporated.
2. Gradually increase mixer speed to high and continue beating until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary with rubber spatula.
3. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating on low speed (stir), until well combined. Beat on high speed until well combined and smooth while scraping down sides of bowl as necessary, about 2 minutes.
4. Decorate anyway you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment