For this cupcake I put my own spin on a classic flavor--Rocky Road! using red velvet instead of the typical chocolate. I thought rocky road would of been a more typical cupcake flavor but when I was on Pinterest (like always) trying to see what other people have done with this flavor there was not much there. So anyways this is a red velvet cupcake with walnuts and a marshmallow cream cheese frosting, since cream cheese frosting is classically paired with red velvet cake. I then topped the cupcakes with some walnuts--though I only did that because I leave the cupcakes at work and the topping usually acts as an identifier so I don't kill anyone, because that would be bad!
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes
For the red velvet cupcake:
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-2 T red food coloring (or any color I actually made mine more of a pink)--less if using gel gel food coloring
- 1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl gently beat the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the went and mix until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake papers, about 2/3 full.
- Bake in oven 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once halfway through.
- Let cool before filling and frosting
For the Marshmallow Cream Cheese Buttercream: