I don't really have a whole lot to say about these cupcakes. They are a pretty standard Boston Cream flavor. Vanilla cupcakes with homemade pastry cream and a chocolate ganache. These were a sister request that I finally gave into...not that I don't also love Boston Cream; I was just saving them for a lazy week and I was feeling pretty lazy this weekend! These were a success as I finally found the perfect vanilla cupcake recipe! The cream filling turned out to be more work that I was planning. I actually had to make it twice because the first time it basically gelatinized...not cute! The second time came out better I think...well at least it didn't solidify! If you wanted to make your life easier you can just use vanilla pudding or a custard. This decoration made up for the time consuming filling though so it was ok in the end!
This recipe made 15 cupcakes!
If making your own pastry cream you should make it first as it needs a couple hours in the fridge to cool and set.
For the Pastry Cream Filling:
For the Vanilla Cupcake:
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour or Canadian bleached all-purpose flour - I used regular all-purpose and they came out fine
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil (vegetable or extra light olive oil also work)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1¼ cups cake flour (or Canadian flour), 1¼ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda and ½ tsp salt. Set flour mix aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 2 eggs with the whisk attachment on medium speed (15-20 seconds).
- Add ¾ cup sugar and continue to beat on medium speed (30 seconds).
- Add vanilla and oil and beat on medium speed (1 minute)
- Reduce mixer speed to medium/low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour mix and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl. The batter should be thin.
- Pour batter into a lined muffin pan. Fill to about ½ full.
- Bake for 12 -14 minutes at 350°F. Let them cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then remove.
- Once cool fill with the pastry cream.
This recipe came from http://natashaskitchen.com
For the ganache:
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Put in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 minute increments until smooth and glossy.
- carefully dip the cupcakes into the ganache and coat evenly.
- top each cupcake with a maraschino cherry!