"I can't believe I forgot my cupcakes" --me when I got to work at 6 o'clock this morning! ugh whatevs they will hopefully be just as good tomorrow! This cupcake is an ode to my favorite discontinued cheesecake at The Cheesecake Factory. It was the Chocolate Coconut Cream Cheesecake and it was amazing. Last time I went I was very sad it was gone. It had a chocolate macaroon crust, with coconut cream and coconut cheesecake filling. There is also a facebook page dedicated to bringing it back...though with only 27 fans I don't think there is much hope...
|source: The Cheesecake Factory|
So this cupcake has a chocolate macaroon crust, a brownie cake, a coconut cheesecake swirl and a chocolate coconut buttercream. The only thing I would do differently is have more cheesecake and a stronger coconut flavor. It is a very rich decadent cupcake. I took my time eating it. I don't think people will inhale this one quite like the other ones. This is the best smelling cupcake though! On with the show!
This makes 12 cupcakes!
Chocolate Macaroon Crust:
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- pinch of salt
- non stick spray
- Preheat oven to 325 and line 12 cupcake liners
- combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and mash together with your hands until everything is good and mixed
- distribute amongst the cupcake liners and pack with the bottom of a glass sprayed with non-stick spray or with clean fingers!
- put in the oven for about 10 minutes
Cheesecake Brownie Base
for the cheesecake:
- 3 tbsp softened butter
- 1 8oz package of softened cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp flour
for the brownie:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (could also try coconut!)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sugars and oil until well blended, then add the eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition, then add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, cayenne and cocoa.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture a little at a time, mixing well each time, then stir in the chocolate.
- Fill each cupcake tin 1/2 way (I actually was able to make about 16 cupcake with this since the macaroon crust took up some space)
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. Beat in the sugar and vanilla until smooth, then add the egg and mix well - then mix in the flour.
- Top each cupcake with the cheesecake and spread it out.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes using a toothpick to check that the brownies are done.
- In a the bowl of an electric stand mixer, fitted with whisk attachment whip butter on medium-high speed until butter turns almost white and is fluffy about 5 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally.
- Add the cocoa powder then add in powdered sugar gradually. Mix until well combined.
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream and coconut and mix on low speed until fully incorporated, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add more cream if frosting is too thick.
- Increase mixer to medium-high speed and whip mixture until pale and very fluffy about 4 - 5 minutes, occasionally scraping down sides of the bowl.
btdubs how CUTE is this cake stand! I got it at Target and it is perfect! AND its plastic so hopefully I can't break it!!