Sunday, April 20, 2014

Week 12, April 20th, 2014 ~ Cadbury Egg Cupcakes



So 2 things about me; I love a good theme and I love cadbury eggs! So being that it is Easter I needed to do an Easter themed cupcake and what better than to base it off of my favorite Easter candy! Everyone else seems all about peep themed things, the craft stores were going nuts with peeps baking stuff, but I need to be different, obviously. Had I not been adamant on using this pretty flower cupcake wrappers I would have decorated the cupcake in a way that better reflected the flavor of the cupcake. I did get to try the rose swirl though and I will just say some came out better than others but it was a good first attempt! This cupcake was rather labor intensive and used A LOT of sugar! AND I may have accidentally added too much butter--but I don't think anyone noticed...Paula Deen would have approved! But anyways I made dark chocolate cupcake recipe that I have used before. Then I filled the cupcake with a homemade cadbury egg filling, which is just a soft fondant, then I topped the cupcake with a cadbury filling vanilla buttercream situation!

This recipe makes 24 cupcakes!

For the dark chocolate cupcake:


  • 1/2 cup dutch processed cocoa powder; Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large egg, room temperature
  • 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 2/3 cup strong brewed coffee or espresso
  • 1 cup unsalted butter

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 24 cupcake molds or muffin tins with paper liners.
  2.  In a small bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. 
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg, brown sugar, and white sugar. Whisk in the milk, coffee, and melted butter. Whisk in the dry ingredients. 
  4. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake molds, filling them about three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and continue to cool on a wire rack.
To see the original cupcake I used this recipe for click here:


For the Cadbury Filling:

  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup butter, room temp
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • yellow food coloring (optional)         

  1. Cream together the corn syrup, butter and vanilla until smooth
  2. Sift in the confectioner's powdered sugar and beat until fully incorporated.

Now if you want to go for authenticity and take a step further you can set aside about 1/4 of the fondant mixture and color it yellow for the egg yolk. If you don't want to do that don't worry I won't judge you...

     3. Next you will want to core your cupcakes and fill them with about a 1-1 1/2 tsp of the white filling and then a small bit of the yellow. Reserve about 1/4 cup of the cadbury filling to add to the cupcakes

For the Buttercream:
  •  3 1/2 sticks room temperature butter
  •  1/4 cup cadbury filling
  •  5 cups confectioners’ sugar (depends on how much cadbury filling you add
  •  1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  •  1/4 cup heavy cream
  1. Cream the butter until it is really light and fluffy. About 5 minutes, scraping the sides occasionally, add the cadbury filling and cream for another minute or so.
  2. Gradually add the sugar. 1/2 cup or so at a time , mixing after each addition--frosting will be pretty thick by the end.
  3. Add the vanilla.
  4. Add 1/4 cup of cream and beat the frosting for a few minutes. 
I then added Wilton Rose food coloring thinking it would come out a darker pink color...this was what  I ended up with:



Basically a bright hot pink...not what I was going for. I was able to dull it down with a bit of Wilton Burgundy, which created more of a dusty rose pink color. 




Overall I was pleased it was very sweet but the filling tasted like a cadbury egg like I hoped it would!
Also if you are interested in learning how to do the flower design on top click here! I used the Wilton 1M tip!



No comments:

Post a Comment