Now you can use whatever tots you want but I would recommend the Alexa Potato Puffs. The filling has a hint of cream cheese and chive and they are seasoned with cracked black pepper and garlic so they add a lot of flavor on their own! Also for the cheese I use a mac and cheese blend from Stop & Shop that is sharp cheddar, american, and swiss cheeses...If you want to be real fancy I would use a sharp cheddar and gruyere or fontina but I didn't want to make a $20 mac and cheese! Let's just get on with it...I could talk this up all day!
Serving: 3 as an entree 4 if it was a side dish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil and cook cavatappi and cook al dente. It should have a slight bite to it Drain and set aside. While that is happening you want to par bake the tater tots. I cooked mine for about 20 minutes; you don't need to worry about them being cooked through or rotating them since they will finish cooking on the mac and cheese.
- Melt the butter in the large pot you cooked the pasta in. Add the flour and whisk until you have a paste. Slowly add the milk while whisking until there are no more clumps. Add seasonings and cheeses while still whisking; until the sauce is thick and all the cheese is melted.
- Add the pasta to the cheese sauce and stir, and mix in about 3/4 of the bacon. Put the mac and cheese into a large casserole and then top with an even layer of the tots and a sprinkling of bacon and shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until the tots are a golden brown.
- Experience the awesomeness!