Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Week 14, May 5, 2014 ~ Tiramisu Cupcakes


I am slacking this week....I know many of you must of been patiently sitting at your computers waiting for this weeks cupcake post Monday afternoon and for that I am deeply sorry for making you wait! lol ANYWAYS this week I made tiramisu cupcakes for Mother's Day since it is my mom's favorite dessert and we kind of celebrated Mother's Day this past weekend. When I tried the cupcakes I thought they were just OK; I had higher hopes for them but the frosting was not my friend this week. I first attempted to make a swiss meringue mascarpone buttercream but I don't know if it was a fail or not but I just didn't like it so I dumped it and made a regular mascarpone buttercream instead but I still didn't love it. Though when other people tried it they thought it was really good so I must just be going crazy! The cupcake is a vanilla cupcake that I brushed with a coffee/kahlua mixture (like when you soak the ladyfingers in regular tiramisu) and then it is topped with an espresso rum mascarpone buttercream then I dusted it with cocoa powder. I did like the cake part though I think I over did it with the coffee/kahlua mixture because eventually I just poured it right onto the cupcakes...I wouldn't recommend that...got kinda messy!

This recipe made 15 cupcakes

For the Cupcake:

  • 1 1/4 cups cake flour or Canadian bleached all-purpose flour - I used regular all-purpose and they came out fine
  • 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup canola oil (vegetable or extra light olive oil also work)
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk 


Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners.
  1. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1¼ cups cake flour (or Canadian flour), 1¼ tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda and ½ tsp salt. Set flour mix aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 2 eggs with the whisk attachment on medium speed (15-20 seconds).
  3. Add ¾ cup sugar and continue to beat on medium speed (30 seconds).
  4. Add vanilla and oil and beat on medium speed (1 minute)
  5. Reduce mixer speed to medium/low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour mix and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl. The batter should be thin.
  6. Pour batter into a lined muffin pan. Fill to about ½ full.
  7. Bake for 12 -14 minutes at 350°F. Let them cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then remove.

This recipe came from http://natashaskitchen.com

I also used this recipe for my Boston Cream Cupcakes!

For the soaking liquid:

  • 1/4 cup espresso (I used instant espresso and hot water but you could also use a dark coffee like italian roast...how do I know so much about coffee?)
  • 2 tbsp Kahlua
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  1. While the cupcakes are in the oven combine the hot coffee, Kahlua and sugar, and stir until the sugar is dissolved.  
  2. Place the warm cupcakes on a wire rack and place a baking sheet underneath to catch dripping liquid. Poke a few holes in the tops of the cupcakes with a skewer to better absorb the liquid.
  3.  Using a pastry brush, brush the soaking liquid onto the tops of the cupcakes until all the liquid is used up; this should take several brushings.
  4. Once the cupcakes are cool you can frost them.
For the mascarpone buttercream:

  • 1 stick butter, room temperature
  • 8 ounces espresso mascarpone, room temperature (if using regular add 2 tsp of instant espresso to the frosting)
  • 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp dark rum
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  1. Beat the butter for several minutes until fluffy.
  2. Scrape down the sides of the bowl then add the mascarpone and mix for a few more minutes.
  3.  Add the sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. 
  4. Add the rum,vanilla, and salt.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment