Friday, May 30, 2014

Week 17, May 30th,2014 ~ Raspberry Coconut Red Velvet Cupcakes


I know I am super late posting these but it happens...i made these cupcakes for my sisters birthday since I am such a nice sister! She loves red velvet but up until now I have avoided them because they are kind of safe and I didn't have a good way to make them my own. Since these cupcakes weren't about me I combined flavors that she liked hoping it worked out. I filled the cupcakes with a raspberry compote and topped them with coconut cream cheese frosting and I was pretty pleased with the outcome! The frosting was piped on to look like hydrangeas, since she is all about flowers and she especially likes them in this color combo. The technique was pretty easy, I used a closed star Wilton 2D tip. I am not about to explain how to do it but I will link the instructions I followed, incase  I have been such an inspiration that you want to recreate my cupcakes...lol 

This recipe makes 12 cupcakes

For the red velvet cupcake:

  • 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
  • 1 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1-2 T red food coloring (or any color I actually made mine more of a pink)--less if using gel gel food coloring 
  • 1/2 tsp distilled white vinegar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract


  1. Preheat oven to 350. 
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. 
  3. In a large bowl gently beat the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the went and mix until smooth.
  5. Divide the batter evenly among the cupcake papers, about 2/3 full.
  6. Bake in oven 20 to 22 minutes, turning the pans once halfway through.
  7. Let cool before filling and frosting


For the raspberry compote:

  • 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp corn starch
  • 1 ounce water

  1. Slowly simmer the berries and sugar over low heat for about 10 minutes.
  2. Dissolve the corn starch in the water and slowly pour into the berries stirring constantly until thickened.


For the coconut cream cheese frosting:

If you are not piping the frosting then half the recipe

  • 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon coconut extract


  1. In a medium bowl, use electric mixer to combine cream cheese and butter; beat until creamy. 
  2. Mix in vanilla, then gradually add the powdered sugar. Mix for about 2 minutes, if frosting is too runny you can add more sugar, if too think add a little milk. 
  3. If you are going to try the hydrangea technique you will need to split the frosting in half and dye each batch a different color. Visit this website for instructions! 




No comments:

Post a Comment