This week I made chocolate cupcakes with coconut cream pie filling and a coconut buttercream. I know I make a lot of coconut cupcakes but coconut is my favorite so I don't care...I colored them turquoise just to do something different, the brand is Americolor I think. This filling probably came out the best out of all the custard/pudding situations I have made, it came out the smoothest. I don't have much else to say about these ones so I'll just get on with it!
This recipe made 15 cupcakes
For the chocolate cake:
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 3/4 cup hot brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 300°F, and line cupcakes tins
2. Chop the chocolate and add to the hot coffee and stir till smooth.
3. In a large bowl sift together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. In another large bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs until thickened slightly, 2-3 minutes
5. Slowly add oil, buttermilk, vanilla, and melted chocolate to eggs, beating until combined.
6. Add sugar mixture and beat on medium speed until just combined well.
7. Divide the batter into the cupcake liners. Bake in middle of oven until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
For the coconut cream:
- 1 1/2 cups Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 3 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Coconut Extract
- Pinch of Salt
In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter until smooth. Add in one cup of sugar at a time, mixing in between additions. Once the sugar is completely incorporated, add in vanilla and coconut extracts. Add in salt. Turn off the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl. Restart the mixer and turn the speed up to medium-high and beat for 5 minutes.