I am going to keep this short this week...since I am going to DISNEY tomorrow morning!! I can only take credit for the execution of this cupcake...I was just fulfilling someone else's cupcake request! Since they can't be bothered to make cupcakes for themselves!...I kid, I kid... I do like all these things though so I am glad I made them! It is a fresh strawberry cupcake with homemade pistachio pudding and mascarpone whipped cream. It was the perfect combination of sweet and salty and the frosting was light and airy! I am sure there is more I can say about these cupcakes but I am technically on vacation and I have to finish packing...
This recipe was for 12-16 cupcakes depending on your tin!
For the Pistachio Pudding:
- 1/4 cup salted pistachio nuts
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar; divided
- 1 tablespoons water
- 1 cups whole milk
- 1 large egg yolks (save the white for the cupcake!-it will hold up in your fridge in an airtight container if you make the pudding in advance)
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
For the Strawberry Cupcake:
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam or preserves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh/frozen strawberries
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- pink food coloring
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a small bowl, mix strawberry preserves and chopped strawberries. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In mixer, beat sugar and butter together until fluffy. Add egg whites, vanilla, and food coloring and beat until well incorporated. Add flour mixture and milk, beating on low speed until mixed. Fold in strawberry mixture.
- Fill cupcake liners in cupcake pan 3/4 full. Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for five minutes then remove the cupcakes onto a cooling rack and let cool for 45 minutes.
For the Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
- 8 oz Mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- in a bowl of an electric mixer, whisk the mascarpone cheese, heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Gradually increase the speed over a few seconds till on medium-high. Slowly pour in the sugar. Beat on medium-high until soft peaks form--this should not take more than a minute or 2...gradually lower the speed until you turn off the mixer.
- Frost cupcakes and top with pistachio pieces and/or strawberries
And I am sure over the last several months most of my Facebook friends felt this way:
or this way:
Sorry, I am not sorry!