This week sister dearest specifically requested I make a banana chocolate chip cupcake with peanut butter frosting. She doesn't make many cupcake requests so I obliged, it also gave me an opportunity to make a cake that wasn't chocolate or vanilla! I decided to take it to the next level by adding bacon (by week 44 if you didn't know I was going to do that than you don't know me at all!) Thus making it an Elvis flavored cupcake with chocolate chips. The cake wasn't my favorite but banana isn't my favorite thing, other people that like banana more than me really liked it though. I do love peanut butter and that frosting, especially with the bacon on top, was amazing!
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line cupcake tin. set aside.
2. Beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together in a large bowl on medium speed until creamed. About 2-3 minutes. With the mixer running on low speed, add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the mashed bananas and vanilla, beating on low speed for about 1 minute.
3. Whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Add the milk and stir until combined.Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Spoon the batter evenly into the cups. Bake for 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
For the peanut butter buttercream:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 3 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled