Monday, January 26, 2015

Week 49, January 5, 2015 ~ Gluten Free Chocolate Raspberry Nutella Cupcakes



This week I made gluten free cupcakes for a friend's birthday. I was kinda nervous for this because I didn't really know that much about it and what products are good to make the best quality cupcake. I didn't want to just try any random recipe and have them come out bad. I have a cupcake reputation to uphold after all! I also knew some products were expensive--particularly xantham gum, which I learned is important in the gluten free cupcake making process. Then I went to do a recon mission at the grocery store and I stumbled upon the perfect solution for someone that doesn't regularly bake gluten free! 


It is a gluten free baking flour that is pre mixed with xantham gum and you can use it in any recipe in place of all purpose flour! This was a 5 lb bag for $9 but I was able to find a smaller 2 lb (?) bag for $4 which was significantly cheaper. If I bought the ingredients separately I would of spent $15+ so this was definitely worth a try and with this I could use my favorite super moist chocolate cupcake recipe! So I baked my chocolate cupcakes and put them in the oven and crossed my fingers! I would call the mission a success! The texture was slightly different but it was still really good. Everyone liked them, I think someone said I should make gluten free cupcakes all the time they liked them so much. I probably won't do that BUT I am less afraid to try it again. 

So anyways obviously I made a chocolate cupcake but then I filled them with a raspberry chambord compote (which helped bring moisture to the cake) and then topped them with nutella buttercream. I garnished them with some chocolate curls but I can't tell you where I got them, your kinda on your own there...sorry ;) You could use jimmies though if you want.

This recipe makes 14-16 cupcakes


  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 ounces dark chocolate 
  • 2 large eggs, room temp
  • 2 large egg yolks, room temp
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder--I use Hershey's Special Dark
  • 1/2 cup brewed coffee, room temp


    1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
    2. Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool.
    3. Beat butter and sugar until fully combined and looks like wet sand; add the melted chocolate once cooled and mix to combine.
    4. Mix in eggs and egg yolks one at a time until just combined.
    5. Mix in oil, vanilla, and sour cream until just combined.
    6. Sift flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder in a separate bowl.
    7. Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture a little at a time until just combined.
    8. Add the coffee and mix till combined.
    9. Fill cupcake liners and bake with 18 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
    10. Set aside on a wire rack and let cool.
    For the raspberry compote:

    • 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 2-3 tsp corn starch
    • 2 ounces chambord or water

    1. Slowly simmer the berries and sugar over low heat for about 10 minutes.
    2. Dissolve the corn starch in the chambord and slowly pour into the berries stirring constantly until thickened.
    3. Let cool and fill cupcakes with the filling.
    For the Nutella buttercream:

    • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
    • 1 cup Nutella
    • 3-4 cups powdered sugar
    • 2 tbsp Frangelico or heavy cream
    1. Beat the butter until smooth and creamy
    2. Add the Nutella and beat until fully combined
    3. Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until fully incorporated
    4. Add the liquor or heavy cream and beat for 2-3 minutes--if too thick add more liquid or more sugar if too thin.
    5. Frost the cupcakes as you wish




    No comments:

    Post a Comment